Decorative objects are an essential component of contemporary interior design, adding character, texture, and style to any space. These objects can be used to showcase your unique personality and interests while also enhancing the functionality of your home. From sculptures to picture frames to vases, the options for decorative objects are endless. But with so many choices available, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. That’s where this article comes in.
In the following sections, we’ll explore different types of decorative objects, provide tips for choosing and placing them, and discuss current trends in the world of interior design. Whether you’re looking to add a pop of color or create a focal point, this guide will help you navigate the world of decorative objects and transform your space into a visually appealing and functional oasis.
Types of Decorative Objects
Decorative objects come in all shapes and sizes, and choosing the right ones can elevate your interior design to the next level. Here are some common types of decorative objects to consider:
- Sculptures: These 3D art pieces can be made from a variety of materials such as wood, metal, or ceramic. Sculptures are a great way to add a bold statement piece to your space, whether it’s a large floor sculpture or a smaller table top piece.
- Vases: Vases are versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes, such as displaying fresh flowers or serving as a standalone decorative object. They come in a range of shapes, sizes, and materials, from classic glass vases to rustic ceramic ones.
- Picture frames: Picture frames allow you to showcase your favorite memories and add a personal touch to your space. Choose frames that complement your existing decor and add interest to your walls.
- Textiles: Decorative textiles, such as throw pillows, blankets, and curtains, can add color, texture, and warmth to your space. Choose fabrics that complement your existing decor and consider layering different textiles to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Trays: Trays are not only functional but also a great way to display smaller decorative objects such as candles, books, or small plants. Choose a tray that complements your existing decor and adds interest to your coffee table or console.
Choosing Decorative Objects
When it comes to choosing decorative objects for your interior design, there are several factors to consider. Here are some key factors to keep in mind:
- Color: The color of your decorative objects should complement your existing decor and create a cohesive look. Consider using color palettes that are similar to those found in your space or choose objects that add a pop of color to neutral rooms.
- Size: The size of your decorative objects should be proportional to the size of your space. Large objects can add drama and create a focal point, while smaller objects can be grouped together to create a layered and interesting look.
- Material: The material of your decorative objects can add texture and interest to your space. Consider using a mix of materials, such as wood, metal, and glass, to create a visually appealing and balanced look.
- Personal style and interests: When choosing decorative objects, consider incorporating pieces that reflect your personal style and interests. For example, if you love travel, consider using objects that showcase your travels, such as globes or maps.
Once you’ve chosen your decorative objects, it’s important to know how to incorporate them into your space. Here are some tips for using decorative objects to reflect your personal style and interests:
- Group similar objects together: Grouping objects together can create a cohesive and visually appealing look. For example, group together different sized vases in similar colors or styles.
- Use objects as focal points: Use decorative objects to create a focal point in your space. For example, use a large sculpture as the centerpiece of your living room.
- Layer objects: Layering decorative objects can add depth and interest to your space. For example, layer different sized picture frames on a shelf or hang multiple mirrors in a gallery wall.
Placement of Decorative Objects
Once you’ve chosen your decorative objects, the way you arrange them can have a big impact on the overall look and feel of your space. Here are some tips for arranging decorative objects:
- Consider balance: Balance is key when it comes to arranging decorative objects. Distribute objects evenly throughout the space and consider the visual weight of each object.
- Vary heights and sizes: Varying the height and size of your decorative objects can create interest and add depth to your space. Consider using objects of different heights and sizes to create a visually appealing arrangement.
- Use odd numbers: Odd numbers of objects tend to create a more visually appealing arrangement than even numbers. Consider grouping decorative objects in threes or fives.
- Create groupings: Grouping similar objects together can create a cohesive look and draw the eye to certain areas of your space. For example, group together decorative objects of the same color or material.
- Use focal points: Use decorative objects to create focal points in your space. For example, use a large vase or sculpture as the centerpiece of your dining table or place a group of smaller objects on your coffee table.
By using these tips to arrange your decorative objects, you can create a cohesive and visually appealing look in your space. Additionally, you can use decorative objects to draw attention to certain areas of your space and create focal points. Here are some tips for using decorative objects to create focal points:
- Use scale: Use a large or oversized decorative object to create a focal point in your space. For example, use a large mirror or piece of art above your fireplace.
- Create contrast: Use decorative objects that contrast with your existing decor to create a focal point. For example, if your space is primarily neutral, use a brightly colored vase as a focal point.
- Use lighting: Use lighting to draw attention to your decorative objects and create a focal point. For example, use a spotlight to highlight a piece of art or sculpture.
Decorating with a Purpose
Decorative objects can be more than just eye-catching accents in your space – they can also serve a functional purpose. Here are some tips for choosing decorative objects that serve a functional purpose:
- Consider storage: Choose decorative objects that can double as storage solutions. For example, use decorative baskets or boxes to store blankets or magazines.
- Use organization tools: Choose decorative objects that can help you stay organized. For example, use a decorative tray to corral items on your coffee table or a desk organizer to keep your workspace tidy.
- Choose dual-purpose furniture: Consider furniture that doubles as storage or has built-in organizational features. For example, choose a coffee table with drawers or a bed with built-in storage underneath.
By choosing decorative objects that serve a functional purpose, you can enhance the functionality of your space while still maintaining a visually appealing look. Here are some examples of how to use decorative objects to enhance the functionality of your space:
- Use decorative hooks: Use decorative hooks to hang coats or hats near your entryway or to organize jewelry in your bedroom.
- Incorporate decorative shelving: Use decorative shelving to display books, plants, or other decorative objects while also providing storage space.
- Choose versatile furniture: Choose furniture that can serve multiple purposes. For example, use a storage ottoman as a coffee table or extra seating.
Trends in Decorative Objects
Staying up to date with current trends in decorative objects can help you infuse your space with fresh and modern touches. Here are some current trends to consider:
- Botanicals: Plants and floral arrangements can add a natural, organic element to your space. Consider incorporating plants or floral prints into your decor for a fresh and lively feel.
- Vintage finds: Mixing vintage or antique decorative objects with modern pieces can add character and depth to your space. Look for unique and interesting vintage finds to add a touch of nostalgia and charm.
- Geometric shapes: Incorporating geometric shapes into your decor can add visual interest and a modern feel. Consider incorporating geometric prints or shapes in decorative objects such as mirrors, vases, or sculptures.
When incorporating trends into your interior design, it’s important to do so in a way that will stand the test of time. Here are some tips for incorporating trends in a timeless and stylish way:
- Choose quality over quantity: Invest in high-quality decorative objects that are built to last, rather than constantly replacing trendy pieces.
- Mix and match: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different trends and styles to create a unique and personalized look.
- Balance with classic pieces: Pair trendy decorative objects with classic, timeless pieces to create a balanced and cohesive look.
To sum up everything
Decorative objects are a fun and creative way to enhance your contemporary interior design. By incorporating them into your space, you can add personality, texture, and interest to even the most mundane of rooms. Remember to choose decorative objects that complement your existing design scheme and reflect your unique style and interests.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with placement and use decorative objects to create a cohesive and visually appealing look. And, if you’re feeling adventurous, try incorporating current trends in decorative objects to keep your space feeling fresh and up-to-date. With a little bit of creativity and a keen eye for design, your space can be transformed into a functional and stylish oasis that you’ll love to show off to your friends and family.
So go ahead, have fun, and let your creativity run wild with decorative objects!
Renovate your house with 9Creation!
A professional interior design service, such as 9Creation, can make your home listing one of the best investments you make in getting more buyers into your home. By creating an interior design and a 3D representation of your home, you’ll get the best visualization of your long-last investment before making the most significant decision. Get yours with 9Creation here to prevent unwanted results that will waste your money and time.
Visit our showroom at East: 140 Paya Lebar Road #01-14, AZ @ Paya Lebar S(409015) or West: 18 Boon Lay Way #01-98A Tradehub 21 S(609966).