Art Deco, a design movement that emerged in the 1920s, has made a major comeback in recent years. With its bold geometric shapes, luxurious materials, and glamorous vibe, Modern Art Deco interior design is a perfect way to bring a touch of sophistication and timeless style into your home.
In this article, we’ll delve into the basics of Art Deco, explore modern interpretations of this iconic design style, and give you tips and ideas for adding a touch of Modern Art Deco to your own home. From choosing the right colors and patterns to selecting the perfect furniture and lighting, we’ll help you create a cohesive and stylish Modern Art Deco interior that truly shines.
So why wait? Let’s get started on your journey to bring the glamour of the 1920s into the 21st century with Modern Art Deco interior design!
The Basics of Art Deco
Art Deco is a popular design style that emerged in the early 20th century. Its distinct look has influenced architecture, fashion, and interior design, and it remains a popular style to this day.
1) Origins and history of Art Deco
- Emergence of Art Deco: Art Deco emerged in the early 1900s and gained popularity in the 1920s and 1930s.
- Paris Exhibition of 1925: The Paris Exhibition of 1925 played a significant role in the popularization of Art Deco, where the style was showcased in all aspects of design.
- Art Deco and Hollywood: Art Deco became popular in Hollywood, influencing the set design of films and the fashion of Hollywood stars.
2) Key elements and characteristics of Art Deco style
- Geometric shapes: Art Deco style features bold geometric shapes, including zigzags, chevrons, and sunbursts.
- Streamlined design: Art Deco is characterized by streamlined and sleek design, influenced by the machine age and industrialization.
- Rich materials: Art Deco features luxurious and expensive materials such as marble, brass, chrome, and glass.
- Ornamentation: Art Deco is also characterized by its decorative elements, including stylized floral and animal motifs.
3) Influence of Art Deco on modern interior design
- The use of metallic finishes: Art Deco’s influence can be seen in the use of metallic finishes in modern interior design, such as brass, copper, and chrome.
- Bold geometric patterns: Bold geometric patterns, which are a key element of Art Deco, are still used in modern interior design.
- Luxurious materials: Art Deco’s use of luxurious materials has also influenced modern interior design, with designers opting for marble, velvet, and silk.
- Art Deco-inspired furniture: Art Deco-inspired furniture has also made a comeback, with designers incorporating Art Deco’s sleek and streamlined design into modern furniture.
Modern Interpretations of Art Deco
Art Deco is a timeless design style that has influenced art, architecture, and interior design for almost a century. Its bold shapes, luxurious materials, and geometric patterns continue to inspire modern designers, who have given Art Deco a contemporary twist.
1) How to combine classic Art Deco with contemporary elements
Designers often use the classic Art Deco style as a starting point, but they also incorporate contemporary elements to give it a modern edge. Some examples of how designers achieve this include:
- Using clean, streamlined furniture with geometric shapes to create a modern Art Deco look.
- Mixing vintage Art Deco pieces with contemporary furniture and accessories to create an eclectic look.
- Combining Art Deco elements with modern technology, such as smart home features and home automation systems.
2) The Use of color, pattern, and texture in Modern Art Deco design
The use of color, pattern, and texture is essential in modern Art Deco design. Designers often opt for a bold color palette, geometric patterns, and luxurious materials, such as velvet and brass, to create a contemporary take on the classic style.
Here are some ways designers use color, pattern, and texture in modern Art Deco interiors:
- Bold, saturated colors such as deep blues, greens, and purples are often used on walls, furniture, and accessories.
- Geometric patterns, such as zigzags, chevrons, and sunbursts, are often used in wallpaper, upholstery, and accessories.
- Luxurious materials, such as marble, brass, and velvet, are used to create a sense of opulence and luxury.
3) Examples of modern Art Deco interiors
Here are some examples of modern Art Deco interiors that showcase how designers have given the classic style a contemporary twist:
- The Art Deco interior of the Fairmont Royal York hotel in Toronto, Canada, blends classic Art Deco elements with modern furniture and technology.
- The interior of the Park Hyatt hotel in New York City features a modern Art Deco design with bold patterns, geometric shapes, and luxurious materials.
- The interior of a private residence in London, UK, uses a bold color palette, geometric patterns, and luxurious materials to create a contemporary Art Deco look.
Adding Modern Art Deco Elements to Your Home
1) Tips for incorporating Modern Art Deco into different spaces
Art Deco can be incorporated into any room in the home. Here are some tips for adding modern Art Deco elements to different spaces:
- Living room: Incorporate geometric patterns on textiles, add a statement rug, and use sleek, streamlined furniture with bold shapes.
- Dining room: Opt for a dramatic chandelier, use a mirrored table, and add bold, statement artwork.
- Bedroom: Use luxurious materials such as velvet and brass, add geometric patterns on bedding, and incorporate an Art Deco headboard.
- Bathroom: Use marble tiles and brass fixtures, add geometric patterns on towels, and incorporate an Art Deco-style vanity.
2) Choosing furniture, lighting, and accessories for a Modern Art Deco look
When choosing furniture, lighting, and accessories for a modern Art Deco look, opt for pieces that feature bold shapes and luxurious materials. Here are some examples of Art Deco-inspired pieces:
- Furniture: A statement sofa in a bold color, a geometric coffee table, or a sleek sideboard with brass accents.
- Lighting: A statement chandelier, a sleek floor lamp with a geometric shade, or a brass sconce with a unique design.
- Accessories: Bold artwork, patterned textiles, and decorative objects with geometric shapes.
3) Creating a cohesive Modern Art Deco interior design
To create a cohesive contemporary Art Deco interior design, it’s important to keep the following in mind:
- Use a consistent color palette: Opt for bold, saturated colors like deep blues, greens, and purples, and pair them with neutrals like black, white, and gray.
- Use consistent materials: Incorporate materials like marble, brass, and velvet throughout the space to create a sense of luxury and sophistication.
- Incorporate geometric patterns: Use patterns like chevrons, sunbursts, and zigzags throughout the space to create a cohesive look.
To Sum Up Everything
If you’re looking for a way to add a touch of glamour and sophistication to your home, modern Art Deco may just be the design style for you. Throughout this article, we’ve explored the key elements of Art Deco modern interior design, including bold shapes, luxurious materials, and geometric patterns, and how to incorporate these elements into different spaces in your home.
The timeless appeal of Art Deco lies in its ability to seamlessly blend classic and contemporary elements, making it a design style that continues to inspire designers today. So why not experiment with modern Art Deco in your own home?
Renovate your house with 9Creation!
A professional interior design service, such as 9Creation, can make your home listing one of the best investments you make in getting more buyers into your home. By creating an interior design and a 3D representation of your home, you’ll get the best visualization of your long-last investment before making the most significant decision. Get yours with 9Creation here to prevent unwanted results that will waste your money and time.
Visit our showroom at East: 140 Paya Lebar Road #01-14, AZ @ Paya Lebar S(409015) or West: 18 Boon Lay Way #01-98A Tradehub 21 S(609966).