When we look at old architecture and design, we see an amazing balance between the old and the new. For centuries we have tried to build our homes, our buildings and our cities using only the latest techniques and styles. We have forgotten the importance of being grounded. However, as the modern world evolves, we are now seeing an amazing revival of the art of the past. In fact, we are beginning to see old designs incorporated into the newest projects. Architects and designers are beginning to create homes, office buildings and other structures that look like they’ve been around for hundreds of years.
What Is British Colonial Interior Design?
In Singapore, we frequently like colonial interior design that is influenced by British architecture. The seventeenth through the nineteenth centuries saw the development of this carefree and well-traveled look. The British left the United Kingdom for tropical locations with warmer conditions, but they brought their Victorian furnishings with them and figured out how to make them fit in. This results in a special patchwork of decoration.
Dark woods are embraced by British colonial design, including bamboo, lumber, and rattan that has been beautifully dyed. Bright white fabrics and an abundance of greenery contrast with the dark wood details. The outcome is anything but basic, even if the focal point of a British colonial home is frequently a plain white wall with a dark wood accent.
What Is Modern Colonial Interior Design?
The interior design of the modern colonial style is elegant but welcoming. Consistently soft, subdued, and neutral tones are used. Modern colonial interior design uses wood to generate theme and contrast rather than focusing on accent colors.
The modern colonial decor is anything but monotonous, despite the limited color pallet. Adopt creamy whites, warm greys, stylish greige and taupes, coupled with powder pastels, for a versatile appearance. Despite being a common choice, British colonial interior design can be mixed and matched with contemporary colonial interior designs to create a truly distinctive look. By incorporating Mediterranean-style features into your room, you may capture the French and Spanish colonial influences.
Tropical plants give the area vitality, and it’s equally important to create a rich tapestry of mementos. The room displays the travels of its owner, from globes and maps to illustrations of exotic plants and animals. Shutters and dramatic fans are necessary accents for British colonial home design as a homage to the region’s frequently warm climate.
How to Blend Different Interior Design Styles
The first step is to understand the primary interior design styles, topics, and principles. You can select and choose your favorites after you have looked into each option. Although there are no hard-and-fast rules, it is crucial to lay out a strategy rather than winging it. The 80/20 rule is applicable in this situation. Choose one major decoration and organize 80% of the area around it to create a unified aesthetic. Know the primary color schemes and textures that define your design aesthetic.
In 80% of your space, try to adhere to the general principles of the decor motif you’ve picked. It is coherent because of this. What makes your room look distinctive and well-developed is leaving that final 20% available for personalization and experimentation. Maintaining equilibrium is essential. If you choose to decorate in only one style, the room will look uninspired and generic. The 80-20 split will keep things interesting.
Keep It Realistic
Take time to think things over before you become Singapore’s next design superstar. Imagine an ordinary day in your life. What do you require every day, and which items are absolute necessities? Put comfort first. Instead of your lifestyle fitting your decor, you want the opposite to happen. Consider using clever solutions like movable furniture and secret storage.
Make a Unified Color Palette
Keep to a limited color scheme as you plan your decor. However, you do want cohesion and constraint. Not that everything has to be exactly the same. If you choose too many colors, each component will feel disjointed.
Similarly, a uniting theme is beneficial. You may use stripes or the curves of an armchair to decorate the area. Small links between design components can have a big impact. While contrasting wood kinds might be interesting, it is generally a good idea. Of course, you can have multiple types of wood, but less is more, so make your plans accordingly.
Having a professional interior design service, such as 9Creation, can create your home listing to be one of the best investments you make in getting more buyers into your home. By creating an interior design and a 3D representation of your home, you’ll get the best visualization of your long-last investation before making the biggest decision of your life. Get yours too with 9Creation here.